From Shopbot Wiki
Working with the ShopBot Wiki:
The easy way:
By default the ShopBot wiki uses a WYSIWYG editor that's user-friendly and makes contributing easier. Just select the page that you want to add to and either click the "edit" tab or double-click in the page to go into editing mode. The formatting options are in the toolbar that appears at the top of the editing box, and works very much like Word or other word-processing programs.
The "old-school" way:
Wikis use a simple formatting system that's easy to learn, and if you're the kind of person that writes their part files in Notepad you can use the native wiki editor by logging in, selecting "My Preferences" at the top of the page, and putting a check next to "Disable rich editor" in the "Editing" tab. A few of the formatting options that you might want are in the toolbar that appears when you click the "Edit" tab like bold and italic, along with buttons to add images and other features. Here are some tips for using the native wiki editor.
- To create a new linked page you can type the name for your new page and then enclose the name in double ['s so that it looks like this...[[my new page]] in the editing box. It will turn into a link to the new page like this my new page in the wiki. That new page link will have a question mark after it at first, but as soon as you add content to it by editing it will turn blue and be underlined.
- A better way to format links to new pages is to give the page both a name and a description which will appear in the link. You do this by using the same 2-bracket format as before, but with the name of your new page first, then the "|" character (the one above the "\" on your keyboard), and then the descriptive text that you want to appear in the page link. A link done this way might look like this when you were typing it in edit mode [[DesignSoftwareMain|this]] but would just show the descriptive text in the page link like this. This lets you use a long phrase or sentence as the page link...maybe a question...without having to use that as the page name. This way you can give the page a name that categorizes it better and also use different page link text to go to the same page.
- If you want to make a bulleted list (like this one), put an "*" in front of each line. To make a list that's numbered in order, put a "#" in front of each item. One note...if you start a new line the list will end.
- Sometime the wiki formatting gets in the way of things like code samples. If that happens just select that section and click the "Ignore wiki formatting" button in the toolbar...the one with the "W" with the red circle and line through it...and it won't be formatted.
- If you want to start a new line of text in a page you have to add a full blank line by hitting enter twice.
- If you're not sure how a change that you've made will look, click the "Show Preview" button at the bottom of any editing page and you'll see that page with all the wiki formatting applied.
- Info on formatting images is available in the Mediawiki picture tutorial
If you've got more questions please email us at shopbotwiki(at)gmail(dot)com
You can find more advanced information on wiki formatting at